Bhubaneswar: Commonly known as Holy Basil (Tulsi), Botanical name (Ocimum tenuiflorum), is an aromatic perennial plant in the Lamiaceae family. It is also known as the "Queen of Herbs."
Tulsi is native to the Indian subcontinent and cultivated for religious and traditional medicine purposes, and for its essential oil. The leaves, seeds, and the entire plant is considered a tonic for the body, mind, and spirit.
The medicinal values of the plant is so vast that it has a place within the Vaishnava tradition of Hinduism, in which devotees perform worship involving holy basil plants or leaves.
It is a powerful antioxidant, it can fight cancer and it has antibacterial properties as well.
Below are few amazing health benefits of Tulsi:
1. Fresh flowers can be used to treat bronchitis.
2. The whole plant can be used to treat diseases like diarrhoea, nausea, and vomiting.
3. Cough and common cold can be treated with the leaf juice with honey.
4. Stomach ulcers and eye diseases can be treated with the use of an alcohol extract of the plant.
5. Insect bites can be cures with the use of an essential oil made from the leaves.
6. Malaria can be cured with the use of the leaves and seeds, with black pepper.
7. It reduces stress levels, blood pressure, and anxieties.